In any typical investment banking interview, brain teaser questions are unavoidable. No matter you like it or hate it, you just have to deal with it. Don’t panic if you cannot answer. The hiring manager won’t expect all candidates can produce an answer. They just want to see how you deal with stress.
Brain teaser questions can be traditional or trendy. Some are being asked more frequently while some are not. Let’s take a look at some of the more trendy ones from bulge brackets, like Lehman and Goldman.
Traditional Brain Teaser Questions - See if you can answer any of these:
- How many gas stations are there in the US?
- Fidelity question: if the entire population China stood up with outstretched arms touching, how many times would they encircle the Earth?
- How many manhole covers are there in NYC?
- It's 3:15 - what's the angle between the hands on the clock?
- You have a 3 liter jug, a 5 liter jug and a continuously running hose. Using those 3 things, how do you get exactly 4 liters in the 5 liter jug?
- You have 9 balls, with one weighing more than the others, but you can't tell by just picking it up. Using a scale no more than two times, how would you find the ball that outweighs the others?
How to prepare for an investment banking interview – to be continued
Is investment banking your dream job?
Recommended reading: IB Interview Guide
Investment Banking Interview