Monday, June 16, 2008

Sample Thank You Letter

A good thank you letter not only conveys the message of ‘thank you’. It is a powerful tool to further enhance your candidacy. In the case of an entry level investment banking candidate, it is also a way to show your maturity and how well you can deal with people relation.

Here is a sample thank you letter that impresses us all. My boss like its style, I like its sincerity and personal touch. The author even very skillfully push us on timeline in a very friendly however persuasive manner. Though it is from a experienced headhunter’s candidate, it is also a good sample for entry level candidates. Observe these important elements of a thank you letter while reading:

* Style
* Sincere
* Personal

Anna

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me yesterday. I enjoyed our interview and was especially pleased to learn more about how you came to choose your particular career path.

As I mentioned to Sam, ABC Company (my firm) seems like a wonderful place for congenial professionals to work. Till now, when I looked at career opportunities my thoughts would be; "is this a right move," "will this help build my resume," "will this propel me to a bigger role next time around." But during our interview, I kept getting the feeling that I would fit in well, contribute, learn a lot and be happy here. The sentiment was more of becoming a part of a family than just searching for the next big step.

I would very much like to be considered as a candidate and will be happy to provide more information to help you make your decision. I do need a favor, as mentioned I am currently being considered for a regional role in South East Asia; this will be finalizing within the next three months, and once committed it would be very hard to switch my answer. So if ABC Company could be mindful of this timeline while scheduling the selection process I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you again for the time you took from your busy schedule.

EXERCISE
Use the above as a backbone and write a thank you letter to the hiring manager of one of your recent investment banking interviews.

Recommend Career Tools

Amazing Cover Letters

Amazing Resume Creator

Secret Career Document

Thank You Letters

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Anna Maria,

We're launching our iBanking job site later this summer and would like to add you to our iBanking search firm rolodex. Will you please send us your specialties and contact information so that our members will be able to reach you?

Thank you,
David Kochanek
http://www.jobsearchdigest.com/investment_banking_jobs/

Dax said...

Hi Anna,
First of all, thank you for this informative blog. I've benefitted greatly from your articles.
I just had a very general question about thank you letters. What subject line should I use in a thank you email. Is it simply "Thank you" or should there be more creativity?
Thanks!

Anna Maria D'Souza said...

Hi Dax

Yours is a very good question. My mail box is full of 'Thank You' emails. 'Thank You' though generic, is a good headline. Sometimes I do make it a little creative like 'A Big Thank You' or 'David, thank you for the time to meet...' or 'David, I appreciate meeting you...' or 'Thank You from Anna...' Perhaps you can think of some creative headlines and share with us.