Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Career Change Cover Letter

Let us review the elements of a 20-second resume cover letter which is best suited for investment banking.

A 20-second cover letter must answer all these questions precisely:

1. What are you doing?
2. What do you want to do?
3. What are you able to do?
4. What do you want the reader to do?

A career change cover letter is more or less in the same structure. Remember you don’t have to tell a full story on your cover letter or resume. Always reserve something interesting that the hiring manager wants to find out and you’ll win an interview.

Here is a recent career change cover letter that I receive and I find it impressive.

Subject: Director of Credit Risk Management

Dear Anna

A Hong Kong-based colleague referred me to you. I am very keen to build upon my senior management experience with the United Nations, and am seeking a director-level position with a Wall Street investment bank as head of credit risk management.

My background is in behavioral scoring, leading organizational change, advocacy, and fund-raising.

I would prefer to be based in Hong Kong, but am open to other cities in Asia.

I've attached my CV, and I look forward to the opportunity to talk with you or one of your colleagues about next steps.

Henry



Anna Maria’s Thought of The Day – Looooooong Resume / Cover Letter Won’t Work
Today I received a record-breaking resume of 32 pages in full colour powerpoint format. It was interesting to flip through the first few pages, but I gave up after page six. Too much information on a resume will only make you loss the chance of an interview. Either hiring managers don’t have the patience to read or they know your everything that they don’t need to see you. Always keep your resume and cover letter with the right amount of information and length.


Learn to write cover letters in an appropriate tone with persuasive power from Jimmy Sweeney's Amazing Cover Letters

Cover Letter

1 comment:

corinne said...

That's an excellent sample cover letter. It's direct and succinct. Thanks for sharing.